Tuesday 18 January 2011

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead



I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2003)

Will Graham is a gangster who has left the life of crime and is living in the countryside. He comes out of hiding to investigate the death of his brother when he learns that he committed suicide. Charlotte Rampling is his old girlfriend who owns a restaurant. Boad is the villain responsible for the bad things that happened to Will's brother.

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2003) establishes a link with the thriller genre straight away, with eery music from a piano and dark shadowed titles. Also the footage is de-saturated creating and emphasizing the thriller genre.

Conventions of a typical thriller movie are followed in the opening sequence, as there are dark titles, and de-saturated footage. The sound is of a random nature, an unpredictable tune of a piano, much like the unpredictable cuts in the the opening sequence. The viewer may become lost in the cuts, being taken from inside a car, then into a blood filled bath. The unpredictable nature of this film, heightens the thriller genre.

I don't like the titles very much, they are all very similar and although they are consistent, I became bored of seeing black and white titles for at least two minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment